Be Grateful! How to Start a Gratitude Journal

First of all...what is "gratitude journaling?" 

Gratitude journaling is the daily act of reflecting on the things that you are grateful for.
I was first introduced to this concept by one of my psychology professors and I have been participating in this practice ever since. The result? I have been overall more positive and dare I say... happier? 


grateful audrey hepburn GIF by The Academy Awards
Grateful Audrey Hepburn GIF by The Academy Awards - GIPHY

Benefits of Gratitude Journaling

1. Even on the bad days, you'll be forced to pick out the good... and you might even find that the day wasn't as bad as you had thought. Gratitude journaling allows you to spend some time thinking about the positive parts of your day. 
2. Gratitude can increase self esteem because it makes you to appreciate what you have rather than what you want
3. Gratitude journaling provides a quick form of journaling and a great way to wind down at night. It is a perfect embodiment of 'self care.' 
4.  The research on the benefits of gratitude journaling is promising too:
  • Rash et al. (2011) found grateful contemplation to "enhance long-term well-being."
  • Emmons and Stern (2013) proposed that gratitude could be used as a psychotherapeutic intervention. 
  • Redwine et al. (2017) found that gratitude journaling can reduce symptoms such as inflammation, linked to heart failure. 
With the combination low effort on your part and both mental and physical benefits, there is really no reason not to try this practise out. Let's get started!

How do I start a gratitude journal?

Just start! Make your gratitude journal your own. Here are some things to consider:

1. Pick out a journal.

This can be a fun process. Big or small. Colourful or plain. Lined or unlined paper. The choice is completely yours and there is no wrong way to do it! Just remember that you will be using this journal a lot so make sure it fits your needs. 

2. Decide what time of day you are going to journal. Then stick to it!

I have been journalling every night just before I go to sleep. I find it to be a relaxing activity that helps me calm down before sleep. Also, it helps me positively reflect on my day in full. If you write in your journal at the same time everyday you will find it becomes  a part of your routine that you will look forward to. 

Having said that, don't stress if you don't get your journaling done. Some nights you'll have other things on and by the time you're going to bed, you just want to hit the hay... and that is completely okay! Just aim to journal most nights to reap the full benefits. 

3. Decide what kind of set-up you are going to use

I have been simply writing out 5 things, big or small, that I am grateful for. For example my entry yesterday looked something like this:

Tuesday May 8th 2018
I am grateful for...
1. The sunshine pouring in through my window this afternoon.
2. The healthy meal I shared with my family. 
3. My boyfriend calling me out of the blue to chat. 
4. My body being strong enough to carry me through my workout.
5. The hour long FaceTime call I had with my sister.  

Quick, and simple! 

Some days I have to choose between points and others I feel like I have to stretch to come up with any points at all. Yet, generally speaking, 5 points of gratitude seems to work well for me. It doesn't take me too long to write out but allows me to touch on different parts of my day. You could do more or less as suits you but in general, 3-5 points works best. 


If you want to switch things up you can pick themes for each of your gratitude points, for example: 


1. A person you are grateful for.
2. A part of nature you are grateful for.
3. A food you enjoyed. 
4. Your favourite part of the day.
etc. 

Or follow a month long gratitude challenge which you can find online! 


Experiment with different styles until you find the one that works for you. Once again, it is you who will be writing in your journal so whatever style you pick, make sure it works for you

4. Keep a list of things you are grateful for in the back of your mind as you go through your day.

When I first started my gratitude journal I found it hard to come up with my five points everyday. But, as I went on I found myself actually looking for the good in the day thinking, 'I can use this in my journal later.' Without really realizing it, I was shifting my focus away from the negative and towards the positive. One day I went outside to find it was raining. Instead of focusing on the negatives, like the rain messing up my hair, I realized how nice the mist of rain felt on my skin and how all the colours seemed so much more vibrant. 

By thinking of your gratitude points throughout the day, you'll not just limit your gratitude to the five minutes you spend writing in your journal, but extend this sense of positivity and appreciation to everything that you do!


positive rainbow GIF
moorsch.tumblr.com/post/59318654374

5. Be specific!

For a more rewarding experience, be specific about what you are grateful for! If you write down that you are grateful for your friends everyday you will probably start to get bored. Why are you grateful for your friends today? Did they do something special? Did you just hang out? Which friends are you talking about? "I am grateful for Emily because she bought my drink for me at Starbucks," is much more effective than, "I am grateful for Emily." Show your appreciation for the specific things that you are grateful for in your journal entries. You will get out of this process what you put into it. 

6. Add in quotes and doodles to make it fun!

Personalize your journal to strengthen your connection to it. Some cute borders and doodles around your journal entries can keep your journal look fresh and fun. Not artistic? Try cutting out images from magazines to fill your pages with some colour. 

Another thing that you can add into your journal is quotes about gratitude. Here are some of my favourites:

"If you want to find happiness, find gratitude." - Steve Maraboli

"The secret of having it all is believing you already do." - unknown

"Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms." - Alyssa Knight

"The real gift of gratitude is that the more grateful you are, the more present you become." - Robert Holden 

A sample quote and illustration from my journal.
"Grateful for where I'm at. Excited about where I'm going." -  Author unknown.

7. Express gratitude to the people in your life outside of your journal too!

Some nights I will be writing in my journal about how grateful I am for a person in my life or an act and realize I have neglected to actually give thanks in person! Your gratitude journal will be an excellent tool to help you recognize special people in your life and helpful acts done for you. These recognitions are not just to be scribbled down in your journal but to be shared! Thank that person. Pass on that kindness. Show your gratitude. 

Try writing thank you notes. If physically writing it out too old fashion for you, slide into their DMs and let them know with a playful gif.


tom hanks thank you GIF
www.reddit.com/r/HighQualityGifs/comments/6gveju/just_want_to_say_thanks/

8. Having a bad day? Look through your journal!

Blue days happen to everyone, some more than others, and it's a good idea to be prepared for those days when they do come. When you write a gratitude journal you are creating a secret weapon to put a damper on any bad mood. Flipping through all the good things that have happened to you and that you are grateful for in your journal will help elicit positive feelings that could help you shake the blues away, at least a little. 



I hope this inspires some of you to pick up the habit of gratitude journaling and gives you some guidance on how to start. If you are already have a gratitude journal, comment below with anything that you do differently and whether or not you find the practise to be effective. And if you enjoyed this post, please share! 


Stay classy, never trashy, and just a little sassy!


- Kel 



References:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1758-0854.2011.01058.x

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jclp.22020

http://europepmc.org/articles/pmc4927423




Comments

Popular Posts